that everyone eats the hell out of it. And I do not particularly want to share it.
I love all things potatoes. Most people that know me, even as an acquaintance, could probably tell you that. I am never far from a bag of potato chips. Especially salt and vinegar. I have a confession though… potato salad is not a favorite of mine. It’s either too sweet or mayo-y or the raw onions grossed me out. I have tried a number of different potato salad recipes and, finally, I found one I could work with.
Surprise, surprise! It’s a Pioneer Woman recipe!! 🙂
I still had couple issues with her recipe but it provided me with a good base to work from. It calls for all the potatoes to be run through a ricer, therefore, making this more of a mashed potato recipe to me. It was too mushy or something. I like chucks of mashed potatoes in my potato salad. PW’s recipe was also a little to vinegary for me which actually surprised me. Here is what I came up with and everyone LOVED it, a lot!
- 5 pounds Russet Potatoes (about 8 Medium Russets)
- 1 cup Mayo (I like the Olive Oil kind) (PW recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups… it was a little much for me)
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons regular Yellow Mustard (can mix Dijon in if you like) (PW recipe calls for 4)
- 3 – 5 whole Green Onions (sliced Up To The Darkest Green Part) (PW recipe calls for 5)
- 6 + whole Small Sweet Pickles (add to your taste) (PW recipe calls for 8. As much as I LOVE pickles, 6 was perfect for us)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 5 whole Hard Boiled Eggs (PW recipe calls for 4. Me and my family love hb eggs, so I do one extra.
Perfect Potato Salad: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/06/fourth-of-july-week-perfect-potato-salad/
Preheat oven to 450 degress.
Cut potatoes in like 1″ chunks, then boil in chicken broth and water until fork tender (I always put like a heaping teaspoon of salt in the water too). I boil the eggs in the same pot with the potatoes. They turn out perfect. Drain.
Scoop half of the potatoes onto a baking sheet and roast until browned and crispy (I acutally have never kept track of how long this took. Maybe 10 minutes. When they look like the way you like them, they are ready). Mash the other half of the potatoes with a masher.
Fold MASHED potatoes together with mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, salt, pepper, and other seasonings you like. Taste it!
Fold in pickles and crispy potatoes that you just roasted in the oven. Taste it!
Finally fold in eggs. Taste again for seasoning! Does is need any more mustard or maybe splash of the pickle juice? Pepper??
Okay… now taste it some more. Next I like to put it in a spot where the others might not see it so I can have it all to myself.